Google Analytics

Friday, March 17, 2006

Born Too Late!

(photo courtesy of Hancock-Paducah Fabrics)

I simply should have been here years and years ago...I was born too late for the Victorian era, but somehow I know that should have been my life.

I've just ordered fabrics from the photo you see here. All lace and roses, ivories, pinks, burgundies, greens, blacks, golds. The colors of a Queen Anne-style drawing room, of Nana Sadie Rose.

Why is it I feel a time warp when I see rose-strewn wallpaper? Why do I go weak in the knees over a nosegay of white roses and lavender? Knitted lace shawls, antimacassars, cut-work tablecloths, fine rose-etched crystal, bone china and marble-topped mahogany furniture. I was not raised with these things.

But when I was a very small child, there was an older lady who lived a few doors down the street from my parents' house. When I could not yet talk, I nonetheless toddled repeatedly to her house to visit. Her name was Lena and her home was filled with these fine things. How did I know? What drew me there? (Questions my mother could never answer...and don't think she didn't try!)

But as surely as I found my way to Lena's home, I have loved these things for all of my life...and now when I receive a notice from one of my suppliers that these fabrics are available, I once again go weak in the knees, and I just have to buy...

Just wait till you see the bags!

1 comment:

Plain Jane said...

OOOOOOOOOO..... The front one on the right!! That's my kind of fabric. I really need to get a digital photo of my yet to be finished Sampler quilt. It has a similar fabric with a warm brown background and I "fancy cut" it for every block. I guess I'd better go check Hancock of Paducah's site. I was there once during the big quilt show in Paducha - talk about quilter's paradise! I get the same time-warp feeling with the reproduction fabrics from the 1800s. I love to make them into scrap quilts that look antique.