Google Analytics

Saturday, October 07, 2006

VERY Fall Friday Night!

I hate to start with "It was a dark and stormy night..." But it was...
The apartment was too warm, so I had the balcony door opened just an inch or so for fresh air. All the girls caught the crispness in the air (it was damp, too, but they try not to notice that). We were having fun with The Meezer's tearstrip (you can see them all on Knitnana). But The Calico Curmudgeon kept going to the door and crying. She is not a vocal kitty, so this was unusual. We're accepting the fact that she's going on to 16 years old, and not in the best of health, so perhaps she'll be heading to the Rainbow Bridge soon (sob!). But on THIS Friday night, there was a hint of the kitten left to see...


She wouldn't leave the door alone, wouldn't stop crying though, as if there really was an urgency that she get outside. I finally shut the door and we went to bed, The Calico reluctantly settling down on her purr pad.

Saturday morning dawned with more gloom, but I went outside to check the tomatoes. There won't be many more of the lovelies. And on the wicker rocker I discovered a red grape tomato with a chunk bitten out. Hmmm....

When did The Calico Curmudgeon become a watch cat? And I just wonder what kind of animal it was that was wanting a midnight snack on my balcony? I'm really glad I didn't try to find out in the dark last night!

2 comments:

Plain Jane said...

Too high up for a deer (though we saw one easily clear a six foot fence on the way to the library this morning). I don't chipmunks & squirrels move around all that much at night. Perhaps an opossum or, more likely, a raccoon as they can climb with ease. I'm glad you didn't let the Curmudgeon out as a raccoon can kill a cat. As for watch cats - you'd be surprised how often our three alert us to critters out on the deck or in the yard.

kat said...

yeah a secind thhe raccoon thought theough the squirrels used to steal from my garden all the time, especailly the corn!