Google Analytics

Sunday, February 14, 2010

More CSA?

Back in the summer, I popped the excess of green peppers into the freezer with just such an evening in mind...cold, and needing comfort food:

So I mixed up some dry stuffing mix with water and some Smart Balance Light margarine, and gerry-rigged a couple of pans to fit - I should have started with a smaller one, but I didn't so had to help bolster the littler peppers by setting a dish into a dish! Then it was an easy maneuver to slip the stuffing into the peppers, add a touch of water to keep it all from drying out in the oven (the pans are sprayed with cooking spray, too) and a 400 oven for about 1 hour was all it took.

While that cooked, I opened a can of diced tomatoes and heated them, adding in some McCormicks Spicy seasoning - I like things with a bit of a bite. Once the tomatoes were bubbling, I added a tablespoon of flour to help thicken them into a nice sauce and allowed them to cook for a bit, breaking up any lumps that formed.

Everything comes together with the pepper and stuffing opened out onto a plate, and a spoonful or so of the tomatoes on top. A little fresh cracked black pepper and here's your comfort food!

My mom used to make these, so the recipe is vegetarian. I can remember that this, along with her macaroni and cheese were often the meals we ate at the end of the month when my Dad's paycheck just didn't make it all the way through...

Thanks Mom. I love these recipes so much and I know you always felt you weren't giving us the best you could, that these meals weren't what you wanted to provide us with.

But they were just exactly right!

*oh...btw? I put this into the Weight Watchers Recipe Builder to discover that even with the sauce, a medium pepper stuffed this way is a whopping 4 points! So while I had the oven going, I quickly made up my easy, yummy, Maple Baked Apple: One apple, cored; spray a small baking dish with cooking spray, set the apple inside (slice of a piece on the bottom to hold it upright if you need to). Take a Vermont Maple Sugar candy (or 1 Tablespoon of Annie's Vermont Lite Maple Syrup) and pour into the center of the apple, and dust with your favorite apple spices - I use cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. You can bake that about 30 minutes at the same temperature as the peppers.

Let's see...that's two veggies and a fruit. and it's another 2 points for the apple - so a 6 point meal.

I do feel so virtuous!
*wink*

1 comment:

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Can I come eat at your house? That sounds delish...and I may have to run by the store on the way home for some peppers! :)