Google Analytics

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

As We Age...

That's likely my least favorite phrase when I'm at the doctor's office! I started hearing it at age 30 when I got my first floaters and visited my eye doc in a panic. I'm extremely nearsighted, you see, and I learned my "vitreous gel inside the eye was collapsing" hence the floaters. It sounded awful, and the fear that I might end up with a retinal tear didn't help. But as I've gotten older and lived with it a bit, I've gotten over the awfulness of it!

And that's what I've learned over the years, they might hit me with that phrase, and I might panic for a bit, but then, I sit with it awhile. It becomes a part of who I am, and I move on...till the next time.

Well, in the past few months, I've had quite a few of those things hit, and the other day, I realized that getting older tends to require another device dependent on electricity! Things like the heating pads I use every night, my TENS unit that helps with a fibro flare, the apps on my iPhone and iPad that I rely on to wake up, eat right, etc...And last week, I got a new one: a CPAP.

When I picked it up on a Thursday, I held off trying it out till the weekend. It was a good thing I did as that Friday night wasn't a good one. But Saturday? Oh my goodness! I woke on Sunday feeling the best I had in years! Energy plus ability (I probably over-did, as well). Today, it told me I had a silver star! (Yes, I do relate to those silly milestone things these apps offer)

And then in my continuing battle with eczema, this woman's YouTube channel popped up in my recommended list. Well, I'm obsessed with her tips and tricks, her down-to-earth style.

But what nailed it for me? She talks about "As we get wiser." NOT "older" or "aged" - WISER! Oh that positive note is exactly the one I want to croon...We are wiser not older! (okay we ARE older, but we're focusing on the positive aspect - we are WISER!)

So okay, now it's "As we get wiser..." and I'm going to begin to correct every person who states the alternative to me - because that's what the medical community needs to adopt. Is so much nicer to hear!

No comments: