Google Analytics

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's CSA Time Again!

I have to admit, I'm not sure I'll participate in the CSA next year. I just mostly have to block out two evenings after work every week to take care of all the food! (And this is a 1/2 share, folks!) Obviously, if there were more people in my family than just me, it would not be an issue. Anyway, tonight I blanched and froze about a half-pound of green beans, and the bunch of carrots from last week (I have another bunch to do tomorrow night). I have chard to freeze, and beets to eat. There were no summer squash in this week's share, but I'm craving them, so I picked up two from the local orchard/farm that's brought into my lovely Ukrops store a block from my house. There was also a head of fresh garlic and then this:


So...I have never made it before, but I dragged out the Cuisinart and made:
Yes. Pesto! (I used this recipe).

And mixed it with pasta (half white/half wheat). Nothing but the basil and garlic were local, but still...
(and yes, I like a little pasta with my pesto)

Oh, in the CSA bag were these, too!
While they look pretty good, they are not quite ripe, so will sit under my plant light for a day or two (I do not have windowsills that get sunshine...hence I do not do well growing vegies in my own space)...
This is what my Yellow Pear tomatoes look like. I don't think it's a good sign...
(sigh)

4 comments:

Pam! said...

oh man! I wish I got some of that basil. mmmmmmmm

Plain Jane said...

PESTO!!!! I'm going to be looking for basil again at the village farm market this afternoon.. MMMMM!

Brenda said...

We (I mean my DH) make big batches of pesto and freezes it in meal-size portions. I love it. I hope yours turned out delicious!

Looks like blossom-end rot on the yellow pear tomatoes. My mom had a problem with that one year. I think it's due to a magnesium deficiency, but don't quote me on that.

Anonymous said...

The pesto looks really good. I am also overflowing with basil, so I really need to get my act together and make pesto! I like the idea of freezing it in portion sizes.
I've been racing to preserve my summer fruit/veg as well, especially since its just me at home. Its a lot of work! But I keep thinking it will be well worth it when the winter is here.