Google Analytics

Monday, March 19, 2012

Meatless Monday! First One This Year!

And this one is vegan! I found a recipe for Carribean Red Beans and Rice that sounded a lot like my favorite restaurant's (Wildflour). It wasn't, but it was still very good. I'm not quite sure what it is that goes in their recipe that is so wonderful, but I'll keep on trying...
That's soy cheese on top. I altered the recipe just a bit, but using dried beans soaked overnight, a can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted tomatoes, about 1/2 a can of water, and cooking everything in the slow cooker. I ended up finishing the beans off on top of the stove, because the water was just enough to make it soupy, and I didn't want that. I also cooked the rice separately.

I started the meal with a spinach and mandarin orange salad with walnuts and raspberry vinaigrette. Normally I toss in Feta and the fake bacon bits, but I decided I was good with this as was, because I was having the Red Beans & Rice.

What are YOU doing to reduce the amount of animal products in your diet? You did hear that eating too much red meat brings on all the rotten stuff: heart disease, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure? The evidence is mounting.

And it saves money, too! With gas prices going up and up, we can all do more of that.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Your Meatless Monday feast looks yummy!

I am vegetarian, except for eating fish occasionally. Never eat meat at all. And with all these news reports, I'm glad!

twinsetellen said...

Since our daughters were long-time vegetarians (one now vegan and one eating humane meat only), we often go meatless out of habit. Tonight we had a super easy veggie chili - canned chili ready tomatoes, drained black beans, sweet corn, and hominy, mix and heat and serve on top of pasta. So easy, so yummy.