Google Analytics

Monday, October 07, 2019

Don't Leave Your Pets (Or Kids) in a Locked Car

I've always wondered whether I'd be as strong in action as I am in my convictions, but today I found out. I can. A colleague noticed a car in our parking lot with the alarm going, and a pup inside. It wasn't a terribly hot day and it was cloudy, but I felt terrible for the pup who was setting off the motion detector inside the very expensive car every few minutes. I googled and learned that when the temperature is 70 it can be as high as 100 in the car. The pup didn't appear in distress, but it WAS concerned. As was I. I called our non-emergency police number and was immediately transferred to the emergency department. The Animal Control officer came out soon after, about as the car owner was walking up. They spoke, temperatures were taken, the pup was assessed. Apparently there are apps that will start the air conditioning from afar? (Well, you can tell I know little about expensive cars.)

So I've learned that I will take action when I think it's warranted. I waited 15 minutes before making that call, and waited longer for the Animal Control officer. All told, that pup was alone in that car a minimum of 45 minutes - and possibly longer. It was lucky it was an overcast day in the 70s. Or maybe I'm all wet? I don't know.

But I do know, I'll call again, if need be.

No comments: