Google Analytics

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cleaning Out The Cupboards...er..Freezer?

It's my first real contribution to the Clean Out the Cupboards Challenge...

and this turned out nicely!

My spaghetti sauce is based on a Barilla jarred sauce (the Tomato Basil flavor), then I add a couple of tablespoons of dried onions, 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced, and this time, I added in about a cup of Morningstar Farms Recipe Crumbles (NAYY), a couple of links of spicy Italian chicken sausage (remove the casings first and then brown with the recipe crumbles), and a medium sized container of sliced mushrooms that I'd frozen because I couldn't eat them fresh at the time...saute it all in some olive oil, then add the jarred sauce.

You could easily (and I do) make this completely vegetarian, you could add in all sorts of veggies (and I have).

Cook up some whole wheat pasta (even if what you have in the cupboard is elbow macaroni!) and toss on some decent grated parmesan cheese (or not...I thought I had some, and I was mistaken, but it was still wonderful tonight!).

I'm really pleased that several things came out of the freezer, the crisper, and the cabinet. I've got another couple of meals here, and then I'll get to work on my next pantry feast. Maybe with some of the brown rice and canned beans I have in the larder...

Stay tuned!
:)

3 comments:

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Mmmm that is something I can really sink my teeth into on these cold days. What a yummy sounding, hearty meal! :)

Carrie#K said...

That looks delicious and perfect for these chilly nights! (even if your nights might be a wee bit chillier...)

Rebecca Jean said...

This is my preferred way of cooking. Go to the cupboard/freezer, see what's on hand, throw a bunch of it together and call it dinner. It almost always turns out good. Just like your sauce. Sounds yummy!

Thanks for sharing it with the Clean Out the Cupboards Challenge!

♥ Rebecca Jean
Midnight Maniac