Google Analytics

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend and One Local Summer!

I've already blown my plan for One Local Summer. I didn't go to our Farmer's Market today - this weekend is Festival weekend. That means there are thousands of people down on the Market and almost not a single place to park. In my younger days, I would park blocks away and walk, spend the day at Festival.

Not anymore.

So. I didn't go to OUR Farmer's Market...I went to Salem's! It's much smaller, but I was able to park almost directly in front of it, walk through quickly, find my two Yellow Pear tomato plants for the front porch, and while there, a huge bag of fresh mustard greens. I don't normally eat those raw...
As pretty as they are, they don't agree with me unless they're cooked (tho' they have a lovely little pingy-bite that reminds me of radishes when they're raw, they're easier on my digestive system when cooked). So I froze them. It's actually some work to freeze greens. But with my CSA half-share giving me greens every week (lots of greens!), I'm putting quite a bit of it by.

I'm reminding myself that salads kind of peter out during the hot summer months, so I'd best enjoy the red and green leaf lettuces and mesclun mix now. (Even tho' I do get tired of so many salads!)

Then when I stopped at my local grocer that carries Virginia produce, I found this:
I so adore asparagus. I bought enough to freeze that, too!

The CSA half-share looked much the same as the photo below from last week, so I didn't bother with another picture...You can just scroll down!

I think I'll be having a chef salad tonight.

No comments: