Google Analytics

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Reverb10: Dec. 20 & 21

I've decided that this one warrants it's own separate post.

Beyond avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn't because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?)

I wanted to learn to do my own website coding. I've depended on family and friends and it simply isn't worth it, I don't like stressing anyone, least of all myself. Did I do it? No. I am not in a position to learn this...too busy too crazy and frankly? I don't think the way you need to think to be a web designer.

Future self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)

Five years from now, I want to be free of consumer debt and on my way to having a lot more in retirement savings. The advice for the future self goes like this: NO ONE ELSE is going to do this, it's up to YOU. And you know perfectly well you can do it. So exercise a bit more control (like I don't have it? I lost 50 pounds, quit smoking once and for all almost 7 years ago...I CAN do it!). The letter to my 10 years-ago self goes like this:

Remember that stuff is just stuff. While no one can take away the education you borrowed for, someone can steal your stuff, and charging for it steals your future and your freedom away from you. If you want it, pay for it with cash. If you don't have the cash, save up for it. Delayed gratification is a wonderful skill to hone.

1 comment:

Carrie#K said...

But delayed gratification sucks! lol.

OTOH, it's true, if I wait, I often don't want what I wanted so desperately after all. Which is what I'm telling myself now so that I will STAY AWAY FROM THE YARN STORE.

Website coding?