Google Analytics

Friday, December 24, 2010

Reverb10 - December 24

Everything's OK. What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead?

Upon returning to my friend and yoga teacher, Debbie's Yoga for Everyone class on Thursday evenings last spring, a flow series of Warrior 2 to Revolved Warrior, passing back through Warrior 2 to Side Angle Pose challenged my physical strength and especially my balance and equilibrium. I tried each week to improve, specifically to bring my focus inward, as I already knew that the body would strengthen on it's own schedule. I'm not sure when things shifted in my body and mind, when the two seemed to mesh to the point that the Warrior Flow stopped being my most challenging pose series to being the one I look forward to the most, the one that I practice when I can only do one series (where before Sun Salutation would have been my pose of choice), but what I find now, is that this pose helps me transcend whatever else is going on in my world.

And now, as long as I can get thru a series of Warrior 2 each day, I know I'm strong enough to endure whatever comes.

But yoga is practice, after all, and so now the challenge is shoulder stand, a pose I'd never have thought I could do again. I'll progress at the pace I'm meant to, but I'm already up on my shoulders again, working to keep the weight off my neck and on my tri-pod of shoulders and elbows, reaching skyward with my feet, inverting my view of the world, my view of myself.

Which is what it's all about: the practice. All life is practice. The year to come is no different than the year before, except that new things become more challenging. If I can master one thing, I can move to the next and strive to master that.

It's the journey, not the destination. I'm taking that knowledge, that truism from class into 2011.

No comments: